The Instituto Cervantes, the official Spanish Government Centre, is a public institution founded in 1991 to promote Spanish language teaching and knowledge of the cultures of Spanish speaking countries throughout the world. It is the largest worldwide Spanish teaching organization and has 40 branches in five continents.
Objectives and functions:
- Organises the Diplomas of Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE), as well as issuing the official certificates and diplomas to the participants in our courses
- Organises Spanish courses
- Organises Spanish teacher training
- Supports Hispanists in their work
- Organises cultural events in conjunction with other organisations
The work of the Instituto Cervantes is directed by representatives from the worlds of academia, culture and literature from Spain and Latin America. In Gibraltar we work closely cultural institutions as well as with Spanish and Latin American organisations.